We begin every new year by looking forward to what is to come ahead. On the first podcast of every year, we read our predictions for the year and compile them below for you to read.
As we look into our crystal balls and try to see what the video game universe has in store for us, we each came up with five thoughts on what the year will have to offer.
- Mother 3.
- PlayStation Now adds PS4, PS2, PS1 to the service and the service gets a true overhaul. We’re one step closer to the future without consoles.
- Metroid Prime 4 is coming to Nintendo Switch, developed by Retro. We learn a lot about the game and its storied development through a new level of transparency with Nintendo, a continuing trend for the company.
- All first-party Microsoft titles slowly get added to Xbox Play Anywhere throughout the year as Microsoft attempts to bridge the gap between console and PC.
- No Bloodborne 2. New From games a announced but one is Armored Core and the other is something we wished we saw coming.
- Breath of the Wild Link costume/character in Hyrule Warriors.
- Resident Evil 2 Remake releases in Q3 of 2017.
- Animal Crossing for mobile is going to tie in with Animal Crossing for the Switch.
- Shovel Knight is playable in Smash for Switch OR introduced as a Mii Swordfighter costumer
- Obligatory Phantasy Star Online 2 prediction
- There will be no delays on Sony first-party exclusives this year.
- Nintendo Switch sells over half of the Wii U lifetime sales by the end of the year (1/2 of 13.36 million as of June 2016).
- Horizon Zero Dawn will become the fastest selling new first-party PlayStation IP, outselling The Last of Us initially (1.3 million in the first week, 3.4 million sold in 3 weeks). The game will also chart NPD, despite coming out the last day in February. It will chart again in March in the top five.
- Neither FFVII remaster (part one) or Kingdom Hearts III will see a release in the year 2017. You will learn the release date for both, FFVII in the spring of 2018 and Kingdom Hearts III in late fall 2018.
- Death Stranding and The Last of Us Part II will be given release windows of fall 2018.
- Soul Calibur 6 (or reboot) is announced after Tekken 7 is released.
- Sony announces a new handheld.
- A new Mega Man X is announced.
- Crossplay is becoming important. The first cross play game between Xbox One and PS4 will be announced/releases.
- Banjo God Damn Kazooie 3.
- Shenmue 3 gets delayed.
- Bloodborne 2 gets announced.
- Mario Party gets announced for the Switch.
- The Switch reveals to have some sort of VR ability, like the Gear VR.
- DOOM sees a standalone expansion similar to Wolfenstein: The Old Blood.
What do you think will happen in 2017? Make some predictions below and we’ll all see how we did next January.